Dr. Leslie Hulvershorn, Medical Director for Indiana’s Division of Mental Health and Addiction, discusses ways for people with severe mental health or substance use disorders to get help during the COVID-19 crisis.
To decide to see mental health services ask yourself:
- Have you been able to take your medication? Why?
- Are you worried you might harm yourself or others?
- Do you feel more withdrawn or like you are a burden to others?
- Do you feel constantly sad?
- Are you able to feed, bathe and clothe yourself?
- Are you worried about your safety?
If you or someone you are caring for answered yes to some or all of these questions, it’s a good idea to seek additional support and services. You can call a local psychiatric hospital, or if you are worried about harming yourself or others, you should call your local police for help.
Leslie Hulvershorn, M.D.
Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addiction