Dr. Kory Carey shares tips for everyone to use while coping with a crisis like the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Stay connected to your social network.
- Stay in touch with family, friends and healthy support.
- Share your time volunteering, online or in person at a safe distance, if you feel healthy and are under 60.
- Help neighbors in need.
- Avoid coping with drugs and alcohol.
- Be aware of your own limits: know when it’s time to take a break from news and other media.
- Find a new normal and build a routine.
- Seek professional help.
When to Seek Professional Mental Health Help:
- Unable to perform daily functions.
- Have thoughts of self-harm, suicide or harming others.
- Experience pervasive sadness or anxiety.
- Unable to bounce back.
Kory Carey, Ph.D. HSPP
Volunteers of America
Ohio & Indiana